Many people choose to have their teeth whitened as a common cosmetic dental treatment to enhance the appearance of their smile. To guarantee that the results last as long as possible after the procedure, taking good care of your teeth is crucial. This piece will review the dos and don’ts of teeth whitening aftercare.
1. Maintain good oral hygiene: Brush your teeth at least twice daily, floss daily, and use mouthwash to keep your teeth clean and healthy. This will prevent stains from building up on your teeth and help maintain the whitening results.
2. Drink plenty of water: Water can help wash away food particles and bacteria that can cause stains on your teeth.
3. Use a straw: When drinking beverages such as coffee, tea, or soda, use a straw to avoid direct contact with your teeth. This will help prevent staining and keep your teeth white for longer.
4. Eat a healthy diet: Foods that are high in sugar or acidic can erode the enamel on your teeth, causing discolouration. Choose a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and lean protein to keep your teeth healthy and white.
5. Schedule regular dental cleanings: Regular dental cleanings can help remove any surface stains on your teeth and brighten your smile.
6. Use a whitening toothpaste: A whitening toothpaste can help maintain the results of your teeth whitening treatment. Look for toothpaste containing hydrogen or carbamide peroxide, the same active ingredient in many whitening treatments.
7. Use a desensitizing product: If you experience sensitivity after your teeth whitening treatment, your dentist may recommend a desensitizing product, such as toothpaste or gel, to help alleviate the discomfort.
8. Wear a nightguard: If you grind or clench your teeth at night, wearing a nightguard can help protect your teeth and prevent damage, which can contribute to discolouration over time.
9. Consider touch-up treatments: Depending on the teeth whitening treatment you received, your dentist may recommend touch-up treatments to maintain the results. Follow your dentist’s instructions for touch-up treatments to keep your smile looking its best.
10. Discuss your goals with your dentist: Before undergoing a teeth whitening treatment, discuss your goals and expectations. They can recommend the best treatment option based on oral health and desired outcome.
1. Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco: Smoking or chewing tobacco can stain teeth and harm oral health.
2. Don’t consume staining foods and drinks: Foods and beverages such as red wine, coffee, tea, and dark berries can stain your teeth. Avoid or minimize consumption of these items, especially in the first few days after your whitening treatment.
3. Don’t brush your teeth too hard: Brushing your teeth too hard can damage your enamel and cause sensitivity. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a gentle touch when brushing.
4. Don’t consume hot or cold foods and drinks: After teeth whitening treatment, your teeth may be sensitive to hot or cold temperatures. Avoid consuming hot or cold foods and beverages for a few days until the sensitivity subsides.
5. Don’t whiten your teeth too often: Overuse teeth whitening products can damage your enamel and cause sensitivity. Follow the instructions your dentist or the product manufacturer provided and whiten your teeth less often than recommended.
6. Don’t use abrasive products: Avoid using abrasive products like baking soda or charcoal to whiten your teeth. These products can damage your enamel and cause sensitivity.
7. Don’t use coloured mouthwashes: Mouthwashes that contain colourants can stain your teeth and undo the results of your teeth whitening treatment. Choose a clear, alcohol-free mouthwash instead.
8. Remember to protect your lips and gums: During a teeth whitening treatment, your dentist will use a special gel or guard to protect your lips and gums from the whitening solution. Remember to protect these areas after the treatment to prevent irritation and sensitivity.
9. Take your time with touch-up treatments: Touch-up treatments should be done within the recommended timeframe to maintain your teeth whitening treatment results. Waiting too long can allow stains to build up and require more extensive treatment in the future.
Maintaining your teeth after a teeth-whitening procedure is crucial to keep the effects and stop further discolouration. You can maintain your smile healthy and bright for a long time by adhering to these dos and don’ts. Remember to talk to your doctor if you have any worries or queries about the aftercare for teeth whitening.